Serilingampally is a municipal town in Andhra Pradesh. The municipality specifically belongs to the district of Rangareddi, which encircles the state’s capital city of Hyderabad. Due to this, Serilingampally is closely connected to the capital city and is, in fact, a part of the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation, the urban planning agency that oversees the development of Hyderabad. The absorption of the municipality to the agency happened in 2007. This makes Serilingampally one of the more progressive municipalities in the area, especially since the GHMC sometimes implements its plans and developments on test towns before putting it on the main capital itself. Serilingampally is now part of the west zone of the GHMC.
According to the Indian census taken in 2001, the municipality’s demographics showed a total population of 150,525 people. This is broken down into an equal male and female constituent, right at 50%.
The municipality was also chosen as a pilot to explore the potential and constraints of agriculture in Hyderabad. The project was started in the hopes of studying the feasibility of cultivating a thriving agricultural base in Hyderabad, which has long been a city centered on commerce, trade and, in recent years, information technology development. Why Serilingampally is chosen is, of course, understandable – it is one of the fastest growing zones of Hyderabad. The fact that the municipality’s authorities have provided such a strong support for the town also helped, as this shows that the municipality is primed and ready to take on any test in the name of economic progress and development. Serilingampally is also rapidly becoming urbanized, with demand of perishable products rising. On the flip side, the high proportion of people that are BPL (below poverty line), retained areas of agriculture production, and the state government’s existing programs for urban poor support have been taken into account in making Serilingampally a good choice for the pilot program.
Economy-wise, Serilingampally was primarily an agricultural town. It already had a reasonable level of agricultural practices, including the farming of crops such as paddy rice, maize, and leafy vegetables. In recent years, however, urbanization has caused the development and reduction of agricultural land. There has been a boom in housing, with scores of colonies springing up, thanks in part to the setting up of several IT companies in its jurisdiction. This, coupled with increasing high land values, had forced the municipality to bring in agricultural produce from neighboring areas. In general, 80% of the municipality’s vegetable supply comes from outside. In response to this, the Resource Center on Urban Agriculture and Food Security (RUAF-CFF) collaborated with low-income communities to develop household gardens and kitchens as well as a residential school to support the education of poor students.
Also, in a program designed to develop the municipality’s urbanization further, the local government has taken up the work of covering Serilingampally with an underground sewerage system. It is expected that by 2010, every nook and corner of the municipality area will have a fully functioning sewerage line.
Uppal Kalan is a municipality in the district of Rangareddi, in Andhra Pradesh. It is also known by several other names such as Uppal, Oopal, Upal, and Pedda Uppal. The municipality consists of the villages of Uppal, Ramanthapur, and Habsiguda. Geographically, it is located east of the state’s capital city of Hyderabad, specifically on the National Highway 202 to Warangal and the northern bank of the river Musi, which separates the historic old city of Hyderabad with the new one. As of the 2001 Indian census, Uppal Kalan had a population of about 111,259, with the males consituting about 52% of the population and the females making up the remaining 48%. The average literacy rate of the municipality is 73%, which is higher than the national average of 59.5%.
The municipality is one of the projected growing ones in Andhra Pradesh. In 2001, the civic body of Uppal topped the rating list of the municipalities because of its efficient functioning in the state. As proof of this, the municipality officials decided to adopt the Chandigarh model as its basis for the planning and urban development of Uppal Kalan in the first part of the decade (Chandigarh is known internationally for its architecture and urban planning, and is the first planned city of India). Among the main features of the proposed remodeling and planning included the massive increase in the green cover in all the 24 wards of the municipality, the systemic and meticulously planned development of the colonies in the municipality, the granting of permissions for all future constructions that are in keeping up of future projections of growth, and the installation of a modern sewage system. The development of the nearby localities as envisioned in a satellite township-model development in order to lessen congestion were also planned, as well as the improvement of sanitary water supply conditions through the division of sectors of the municipal area.
In light of these proposed developments, Uppal Kalan became the first municipality in Andhra Pradesh to have a full-fledged underground sewerage network. The project, whose first phase started in 2003, cost Rs. 32 crores or Rs. 320 million (roughly equivalent to about US$6.6 million). The project was projected to permanently solve the problem of inadequate sewerage of the municipality. The first phase involved the revamping of the sewerage system of the Habsiguda region while the second phase, completed in the first few quarters of 2006, saw to the development of the Ramanthapur and Uppal sewerage networks.
There are several places of interest for Uppal Kalan. The major ones include the Advanced Training Institute for Electronics and Process Instrumentation (ATI-EPI) and the Doordarshan Kendra TV Studios, both located in Ramanthapur, the Professor G.M. Reddy Foundation, and the Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, which is the principal cricket stadium in Hyderabad. Those who are interested in religion can find the Uppal Mosque there, which is an ancient mosque built in the 17th century. The Lord Sri Rama Temple and the Lord Sri Venkateshwara Temple are also interesting spots for those who are into Hinduism.
Also known as Chittur, Chittoor district is among the 23 districts of Andhra Pradesh. It lies in the Poini River valley, on the Bangalore-Chennai highway. It is bounded to the north by the district of Cuddapah, Anantapur district is to the northwest, and Nellore district to the northeast. The states of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka border the south and west, respectivel. The district has a total area of 15.152 square kilometers and a total population of 3,745,875 as of the Indian census of 2001. Of the population, about 21.65% were urban. The district’s headquarters is the town of Chittoor.
The district was a British military outpost until 1884. Prior to that, its history has been one of ups and downs, particularly for the Dravidian kingdoms. The district’s early settlers were the Kurumbas, known primarily for their cruel and difficult nature. The first king of this dynasty was Komandu Kurumba Prabhu, who divided the region into 24 divisions and installed a fort in each one. In the 8th and 9th centuries, the Kurumba dynasty was suppressed by the Cholas, but the eastern part was still under the rule of the Kurumbe people, under the Yadava dynasty. Other dynasties that followed include the Ballal who flourished in the 11th century, and the Vijayanagar, who appeared during the first half of the 13th century.
When several Mughal refugees came to the region and established the Bahmani kingdom, they made a common cause to destroy the Vijayanagar dynasty. This was accomplished on January 23, 1565 when they finally overpowered the Vijayanagar kingdom and a relative of the deceased Rajah who took over the kingdom sent an invitation to the superintendent of the East India Company at Armegaum to settle within his dominion, which was accepted. In 1640, a small strip of land in the coast was granted, and this became the first ever Indian land possessed by the British.
Starting from 1713, the region became a venue for a power struggle between the Marathas and the Nizams, and it was also during this century that the British defeated the French, dashing the latter’s hope for establishing an empire in the Indian subcontinent. The Nizams signed a treaty with the British, with both parties agreeing to offer aid in return for tribute and land governance. In 1802, the British collector of North Arcot raised the tributes and assumed the management of police throughout the district but was met with a backlash and chaos erupted. On July 6, 1804, a British battalion was ordered to Chittoor to enforce order. A commission group was appointed on September 22, 1804 to settle the affair through peaceful means, and several of the insurgents signed the agreement. Those who continued to rebel were dealt in a more active fashion. The British ruled over Chittoor district until India’s independence in 1947.
Chittoori district is a market center for several agricultural products such as mangoes, grains, and peanuts. It also has several industries, including oilseed and rice milling, as well as ceramics, textile and handicrafts. The district is well accessible by rail and road. The district also has an airport at Tirupati, making it easily reachable by air as well.
Srikakulam is a town found in Andhra Pradesh. It is a municipality as well as the district headquarters of Srikakulam district, which shares its name. It lies along the Nagavali River and once served as the capital of a Muslim region known as the Northern Circars (or Northern Sarkars), where it was known as Gulshanabad (or Garden City). The British called it Chicacole before it was renamed to its present name shortly after India gained its independence. As of the 2001 Indian census, the town’s population was listed as 109,666. Srikakulam town shouldn’t be confused with another place in Andhra Pradesh that shares the same name. This particular place is just a small village on the bank of the Krishna River in Ghantasala, in the district of Krishna.
The region where the present-day town is used to be a part of the Kalinga region and was later a part of Orissa’s Gajapati kingdom up until the medieval period. Srikakulam was called Gulshanabad then, which was derived from the Persian word Gulshan/Gulistan which meant “rose garden” and abad, which meant “creation”. It was just a tiny village and served as the center for the kingdom’s money transactions for the areas covering Srikakulam, Vishakhapatnam and some parts of Orissa. It was a Muslim town, and even today, some 10,000 Muslims still live in the present town, following the traditions and cultures set by their ancestors hundreds of years ago. In 1707, when the Nizams came into power, Srikakulam was also the headquarters for revenue collection. The Nizams handed Srikakulam together with other districts to the French in 1753, before it was seized by the British in 1756 during the Anglo-French wars.
British rule started in 1759 and Srikakulam town was made into a part of the Ganjam district, in the undivided Madras province. At this time, the town was renamed Chicacole, from the Persian words Chica (meaning “a small cloth bag which can be closed by pulling its neck strings”) and Khol (meaning “open”). The name was derived from the fact that during the Muslim rule, people are commanded to “chika khol”, which means to open their bag and pay the toll. After India’s independence in 1947, many fought for a separate Andhra state, and in 1948, there were clamors for making a separate Srikakulam district. On July 17, 1950, a request was made to the then Revenue Minister H. Sitarama Reddy on his visit to the area to select Srikakulam as a district headquarters. Finally, on August 15, 1950, Srikakulam district was formed and the town of Srikakulam was designated as its district headquarters.
The town is an emerging industrial hub, owing mainly to it being well-connected to other places such as Visakhapatnam and Vizianagaram. There are also industrial estates housing several types of industries ranging from small to large scale. There is also a railway station located at Amadalavalasa railhead of the town. From there, one can travel around the area either via rickshaws or taxi. Places to hang out include several parks such as Gandhi Park, Riverview Park and Hudco Colony Park. Attractions include Arasavalli, which is the home of an ancient temple of the sun said to have been built around the 7th century.
Madanapalle is found in the Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh. It is both a town and a municipality with a total population of 190,512, according to the Indian census of 2001. The town is located some 123 kilometers away from the temple city of Tirupati and 122 kilometers from the major city of Bangalore, while the district’s headquarters town of Chittoor lies 91 kilometers southeast from it. Madanapalle covers almost half of the district, and it also happens to be one of the big revenue divisions of the country. It sits at an average elevation of 695 meters (roughly 2,280 feet) above mean sea level.
The town is one of Andhra Pradesh’s fastest-growing cities, owing much to the fact that it is located at the center of the state’s agricultural region. It is noted for the production of fruits and vegetables, especially tomatoes. It is also quite popular due to its high-quality silks, which are usually made into beautiful and exquisite saris and other types of clothing popular both in India and abroad. There is a specific place in the town called Neeruguttu where silk saris are available at production cost, which is perfect for those tourists and visitors who want to buy the beautiful garments at a very cheap cost.
Madanapalle is a cosmopolitan center, with different religions mixing together in an interesting display of diversity. In this place, major religious groups such as Hindus, Christians and Muslims live together in relative harmony. There are several important religious spots in the town such as the Sri Lord Venkateswara Temple, the Swamy Ayyappa Temple, the Saptha Kanyakalu Temple and the Sri Anjaneya Temple. The Shiridi Saibaba Temple, one of the oldest temples of Saibaba in India, is also located at Madanapalle. Churches include the Arogyamatha Church, the Indiranagar Masjid and Chamberlain Church and the CSI Church. Culture-wise, the town is a center of vernacular diversity. The literary languages being used are Telugu and Urdu, with many organizations serving as literary fields to the two. The major ones include the Anjuman Taraqui Urdu and the Telugu Poets’ Association.
Owing much to its relatively high elevation, Madanapalle has a pleasantly mild climate all throughout the year. Summers are warm, averaging a temperature of 30 to 35 degrees Celsius, although there are instances where they can exceed 40 degrees. Winters can be cold, with temperatures between 7 to 15 degrees. This climate, though, is conducive to the crops, which are evident by the large annual produce they residents are able to harvest. Summers usually last from March to June, followed by the rainy season that starts in July and finally winter, which can last until February. Rainy season remains pleasant although temperatures tended to become higher in recent years.
Several spots worth visiting in Madanapalle include the Horsley Hills, a small hill station and a popular summer resort, the old house of Sri Jiddu Krishnamurthy, the famous Indian philosopher, and the Besant Theosophical College.
West Godavari is one of the 23 districts of Andhra Pradesh. It’s located directly west of the coastal district of East Godavari, so only a small part of it is actually located on the coast. It is the delta region of two big rivers of India: the Krishna and Godavari rivers. The district boundaries are the district of Khammam to the north, East Godavari district to the east, the Bay of Bengal to the south, and the district of Krishna to the west. According to the Indian census taken in 2001, West Godavari’s population was 3,803,517, with most of the people living in rural conditions and only 19.74% were urban. The whole district has a total area of 7,742 square kilometers, bringing the population density to about 491 people per square kilometer. Literacy rate is at 73.95%, which is higher than the national average of 59.5%. The town of Eluru is West Godavari’s district headquarters.
West Godavari’s district headquarters used to be a part of the Machilipatnam district, during the time when the northern local administrative units were being divided into districts. In 1859, it was later included in the Godavari district. In 1925, West Godavari was established after Godavari was split into two and Eluru was designated as its headquarters. All the district offices and regional offices were also set up in Eluru town. From then on, it has remained as it was until today.
The district has a richly cultivated land, fed mainly by the rivers that run through it. As a result, a large percentage of the people living in its rural areas depend on agriculture as their livelihood. About 68% of the irrigated areas have canals as their source of irrigation, while tube wells and tanks come next. West Godavari is popularly known as India’s Granary, with about 50% of the state’s rice production coming from the district. The cultivated lands are divided into two: the Delta and the uplands. Coconut planting, rice farming and aquaculture are practiced mainly in the Delta. In the uplands, a more diverse crop farming is practiced. Oil palm, cotton, tobacco, sugar cane, mango, banana and other fruits are being farmed on a regular basis. On the coastal part of the district, aquaculture yields fish and prawns, a large part of which is exported to other countries such as Japan and the United States. Tanuku, one of the towns in West Godavari, is famous for its Andhra sugars, while Vendra paper mills, food processing and fertilizer production are among the industries in towns such as Bhimavaram and Tadepalligudem.
Tourism-wise, the district holds an enormous potential for revenue. There are several noteworthy religious monuments and temples that hold rich and historical or archaeological heritage. The major ones include Bhimeswara and Someswara located in Bhimavaram, the Sri Kshira Rama Lingeswara Swami Temple in Palakol, and the Veerabhadra and Bhavanarayana temples in Pattisam. Other tourist attractions include the Kolleru Lake, which is the largest freshwater lake in Asia and Indira Sagar project at Polavaram.
Tanuku is a town in India that is located in the district of West Godavari, some 60 kilometers from Narsapur. It belongs to the state of Andhra Pradesh. It is currently the political capital of the district, and is one of the few places in the country that produces and supplies UDMH-MMH (monomethylhydrazine), an important liquid rocket fuel very commonly used especially in the orbital maneuvering system (OMS) engines of NASA’s Space Shuttle. As a result, the town holds an important part in the country’s economy.
Geographically, the place has an average elevation of about 13 meters (14 feet). The Gosthani River flows along three of the town’s sides so when looked from above, it looks very much like a peninsula. The 2001 Indian census puts the town’s population at 87,779. This is also the first town in Andhra Pradesh to achieve total literacy; this is evidenced by the fact that Tanuku has one of the highest literacy rates in the country at 91.4%, very much higher than the national average of 59.5%. In Tanuku, the Mullapudi and Chitturi families have been prominent for many generations. Tanuku is also popularly known as Taraka Pura.
Some accounts have said that Tanuku was originally the capital of Tarakapuri, the kingdom of Tarakasura who, according to Hindu myth, was the king of Asuras or demons. The story goes that Tarakasura, who is also referred to as Tarakasena, was made a demon after his defeat by Lord Kumaraswamy, the son of Lord Shiva and Parvathi. This war happened because Tarakasura invaded Indra, the son-in-law of Tarakasena, over an insult the latter meted out to the former. It was this war that also gave names to various villages. For example, the place where Lord Kuramaswamy landed on Earth is now called Komaravaram. The place where Uraga Raju resided is now known as Undrajavaram. The place where the holy priests lived is called Vipparu today. So, it has been established that Tanuku’s history goes back to the ancient Vedic period.
Tanuku is also the birthplace of one of the very first – and greatest – Telugu poets of all time, Adikavi Nannayya. Some have said that he conducted a large sacrifice or Yagna under a jammi tree, and that he also translated the first three cantos (called Parvas) of the Hindu epic the Mahabharata from Sanskrit to Telugu.
Since Tanuku is part of the Godavari River basin, the soil is very fertile, making Tanuku essentially an agricultural town. The entire region actually forms India’s rice bowl. It also produces other major crops, such as bananas, sugar cane, coconuts and several varieties of vegetables. In addition, Andhra Sugars Company’s success in producing the liquid rocket fuel have added to the achievements of the town; India is the fifth country in the world to have developed this fuel, cutting the dependency on foreign sources. Aside from this, Tanuku is also a major textile hub.
The town is accessible either by train or by bus, with frequent buses coming from Narsapur, Eluru, Tadepalligudem and Palakol. Trains come from major cities such as Hyderabad, Chennai and Bangalore. National Highway 5, part of the Golden Quadrilateral, also passes through Tanuku.
Palakol, also called by some as Palakollu or the Anglicized Palacole, is one of the nine coastal towns of Andhra Pradesh. It is part of the West Godavari district, located on the northeastern part of the country. It is considered to be an important trading town in the district and is also in close proximity to West Godavari’s other trading towns, such as Eluru, Tanuku, Bhimavaram and Narsapur. The 2001 Indian census puts the town’s population at 57,171, although if Palakol’s mandal (village subdivisions) are included, the population is about 80,000. Palakol is recognized quite well for the fertile lands that surround it. Telugu and the English language are spoken in the town.
The place is famous for several temples, of which the main attraction is the Sri Kshira Rama Lingeshwara Swami Temple, a 15th century temple built for the Hindu God Shiva. It is one of the five Pancharamas, or ancient Hindu temples of Lord Shiva situated in Andhra Pradesh. Legend has it that these temples house the five pieces of the Sivalinga, or holy symbol, owned by the demon king Tarakasura. It made him nigh invulnerable until Lord Kumaraswamy broke the symbol into five pieces and killed the Rakshasa king. The five pieces were placed on five temples located located at Amaravathi, Draksharamam, Bhimavaram, Samalkota and Palakol.
Other temples that are also known in Palakol include the Ashtabhuja Lakshmi Narayana Swami Temple, which is widely known by the religious for its tradition and festivities. These include the Bhramostavam, generally held in May every year, which draws a large number of devotees from around the area. Another festivity is the Dhanurmasam, which is celebrated in remembrance of the love of Andaal for Lord Krishna. It is held in the month of December.
Palakol is also said to be the region which the word Telugu originated from. Palakol is located in the area subtended by the temples of Shiva at Draksharamam, Kaleswaram and Srisailam, in what is called as “Trilinga Desam”, meaning “the region bounded by three lingas”. Across the centuries, the term became Telugu Desam, and the language that was spoken by the people around these locations was called Telugu.
Like most of the lands in the state, Palakol’s soils are fertile and rich, with paddy fields and coconut grooves being a common fixture. It is said that when the Dutch came to India, they started plantations of lemons and oranges here. Palakol is also famous for its pomelo fruits. During Saturdays, people from in and around the town come to the weekly market to purchase and trade goods, giving off a festive air.
The town can be reached via National Highway 214, which is located in the interior of Andhra Pradesh. It starts from Kathipudi on National Highway 5 and ends at National Highway 9, located between Machilipatnam and Vuyyuru. Buses ply these routes from all parts of the state. Those who travel from Kolkata and Orissa needs to reach Visakhapatnam and proceed to Ravulapalem, turning left until the board that points to Narsapur. Palakol is just 45 minutes from there. Unfortunately, not all trains reach Palakol. Tourists can just go by train and step off Bhimavaram. From there, a private vehicle or bus will take them to Palakol.
Tadepalligudem is a town in Andhra Pradesh. It is found in the middle of the district of West Godavari, some 50 kilometers of the district’s headquarter town of Eluru. The town also serves as a municipality, and contributes to the distinction of West Godavari as the second most densely populated region in Andhra Pradesh, just right after the capital city of Hyderabad. The town has an average elevated position of 34 meters (about 112 feet) above mean sea level. Some of the surrounding towns that constitute its boundaries are Bhimadalu to the west, Dubacherla to the northwest, Madhavaram to the northeast and Pentapudu to the south. According to the census taken in 2001, the town had a total population of 102,303 people, of which females make up a bigger part, with 51% while the males constitute 49%. It is a rather prominent town for education due to its good number of schools and colleges. As such, it is no surprise that its literacy rate is higher than the national average of 59.5%, rated at 65%. Tadepalligudem is considered as one of the hubs of the West Godavari district, with the major languages spoken being Telugu and English.
Tadepalligudem did play a very important role during World War II. During this time, the British East India Company built an airport in the town in order to accommodate the military’s need for aircraft during the war. While this 2 kilometer airport is no longer in use today, it played a vital role for the Allies’ success in the Asian campaign. Currently, there are no plans to utilize the airport for commercial use, although such a move will surely bring in more income and boost the commerce and trade of the town.
The main source of livelihood among the people of Tadepalligudem is agriculture. Specifically, the town is famous for its rice cultivation and jaggery market. For those who do not know, jaggery is a traditional, unrefined non-centrifugal sugar that is consumed chiefly in Asia, South America and Africa. It is a concentrated product of cane juice with the molasses and crystals not separated, causing a color variation of golden brown to dark brown. While the state of Maharashtra is the largest producer and consumer of jaggery, the state of Andhra Pradesh, Tadepalligudem is the chief producer of the product.
The town is also famous for its godowns, a warehouse for the storage of food. In fact, most of Andhra’s food products are stored here. Tadepalligudem also grows other products such as banana, tumeric and sugar. Much of the crops and agriculture are fed by the Yerrakulava Canal, which also happens to be a main source of drinking water of the town, along with Pampula cheruvu.
Industries in the town include rice mills – Tadepalligudem has one of the largest numbers of rice mills in the district. Food, fat and fertilizer industries are also enjoying a brisk success, producing soap oil and food oil contents like palm oil and rice oil. Transportation is also a big industry of the town, with more than 6,000 transport vehicles, making it one of the biggest in Andhra Pradesh. Its transport industry is almost equal to the coastal capital of Vijayawada.
Prakasam District is one of the administrative districts of Andhra Pradesh, located in the southeast portion of the state. It is a coastal district, bounded by a bay and other districts of the state. To the north is found the district of Guntur while Mahbubnagar is found to the northwest edge. The south is occupied by the districts of Nellore and Cuddapah, slightly to the west. The west is bounded by Kurnool district while the Bay of Bengal is found on the east. The district has a total area of 17,626 square kilometers, and a total population of 3,059,423 distributed across 702,559 households, as of the 2001 Indian census. Of those, 15.28% were living in urban zones. The district’s district headquarters is the big town of Ongole.
The district was previously known as Ongole, and it has a history that goes back to the time when the Mauryas ruled the place in the 3rd century. Buddhism was introduced to the land when the Satavahanas came after the Mauryas and the construction of several stupas was started. In later centuries, the Ikhsvaku, the Vijavanagar kings, the Qutub Shahis, and the Mughals also took part in reigning over the region. Each left an indelible mark to the culture of modern day Prakasam.
The district itself was carved out of Guntur, Nellore and the Kurnool districts of Andhra Pradesh, and was originally constituted on February 2, 1970. On May 12, 1972, it was renamed from Ongole to Prakasam in memory of the great Andhra leader and patriot Tanguturi Prakasam Panthulu, otherwise known as Andhra Kesari (meaning “Lion of Andhra”), who was born in the village of Kanuparthi, in the district. Tanguturi Prakasam Panthulu was the first Chief Minister Andhra Pradesh and was a prominent figure in the country’s struggle for independence. When the district was constituted, it was formed from three taluks of Guntur. Four taluks came out of the Nellore district and two taluks came from the district of Kurnool.
More than a third of the whole area is cultivated land, making agriculture a prime source of economy for the district. The main crops include rice, maize, jowar, cotton, sesame and sugar cane. Fishing also augments a large portion of the population’s livelihood courtesy of the 105-kilometer coastline, making for a thriving fishing industry. Other flourishing industries include seed processing, floriculture and plantation, food processing, tobacco, cotton fabrics, and plastics and rubber. Several main towns in Prakasam engage in specialized industries that augment the district’s income. For example, Markapur is India’s main slate manufacturing town, which also happens to house the temple of Lord Chennakesava. The town of Chimakurthi is known the world over for its vast granite reserves. Lastly, to the religious, Dornala is known as diguva Srisailam, mainly because it is very near the historic pilgrimage center of Srisailam.
Other places of interest are the Bhairava Konda temple, the Motupalle, and the temple of Malayadri Lakshminarasimhasamy. In order to reach Prakasam district, one can take the train, since Ongole is an important railway station on the Chennai-Waltair broad gauge line. The district is also well-connected via road to all the major cities and towns in southern India. Lastly, the nearest airport is located 128 kilometers away, at Vijayawada.